21 January 2010

Dan's Secret Affair

I have a confession, I can be a bit of a Luddite, I distinctly remember making muttered comments about who disc brakes on cross country bikes being over-kill during the late 1990's and it took me an age to get around to dropping a fully rigid bike. It took another implausibly lengthy period to get around to buying a full suspension bike and when I did went for a SCOTT GENIUS MC that rode more like an XC race bike.

So when I was asked to pick a demo bike for the Mud Dock fleet I decided it was time to break out of my mould and into something more...well..exciting! What did you get I hear you cry? Something exotic? Well in a way... something niche? Well not really... I almost can't believe it but I chose a Trek. As a brand they're not know for being out there left field somewhere (they leave left-field their Gary Fisher brand), rather, they have an understated confidence, and a sublime subtleness.

It's also quite shocking given the facts, that I chose the TREK EX9, complete with FOX DRCV custom shock with something called 'Boost valve' technology and a 15mm bolt through front hub. Although, admittedly I did get it in brown.

Unboxing it I was filled with nerves and butterflies....the bulbous extra chamber on the shock, and the crisp whiteness of the cast magnesium rear suspension link really struck me against the matt brown and Sram Tango decals and XO rear mech and matching anodised headset. The bolt though fork also looks like it means business and gives the bike a very balanced appearance.

A planned trip to Coed Y Brennin also provided the perfect opportunity to put the EX9 through it's paces, and when I got to the trail head after the inevitable preride faff, I was not disappointed. It's easy to make comments such as 'this bike corners like it's on rails' but in a very real sense this is a bike that does, and it inspires the same quiet confidence on the trail, that the Trek brand displays. It's not an unruly mate who's egging you on into situations that can only lead to disaster – it reassure you. The low stand-over height inspires confidence in a swift and safe dismount should you push yourself to far past your own limits , and the 'just right' over all feel of the EX frame-set and shock coupled with the awesome stiffness of the 15mm bolt thru front hub means that you can put your front wheel where you want and keep it there time after time. This is a bike that will flatter you, whether it's cross-rutted, weird lined or unexpectedly ploughed head-long into that compulsory fast corner exit rock, it's hard to make it feel really unsettled. It also climbs very well too!

If this bike was a girl – she'd be the girl next-door, affable, funny and curiously attractive and you could easily spend a load of time with her – but there is so so much more for you to uncover!

Cost: £2500
Available: Now (Demo avalible in store)

No comments: