5 October 2011

Speedplay pedals get thumbs up

Jon Shergold takes the plunge and changes pedal brands

Well, what can I say, they hold your feet in place (just like every other clip-less pedal on the market); and they come in a myriad of shiny colours (again like most of the other clip-less pedal on the market). That is however where the similarities end…
Speedplay pedals

I have been a lifelong user of Time and Look KEOs on the road bike, having been on them for nearly 15 years. I have always had dodgy knees, something which was highlighted at the 12 champs over the summer.

I basically wanted a double-sided road pedal that while creating a solid base would allow my feet to move. After a quick chat with Mud Dock manager Charlie and the Rep I decided to take the plunge and move away from what I knew and try something a little bit different.

The amazing thing about the Speedplays is the 'float'. 15 degrees is a long way and surprised me.

Initially the sensation of 'ice skating' when pedalling was a bit strange, but after a few miles you don’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

Thinking about it, I never really got much movement from KEOs. Looking down whilst riding the Speedplays my feet are rotating as they please; something which can only be a good thing as far as my joints are concerned.

One thing to note: clipping in is different to a 'front-hooking' pedal like Shimano/Time. You need a bit of practice, but when you’re in, it is secure and stable.

Other than the double-sided engagement, the movement and adjustability really is the hit of these.

I’ve now put in nearly 500 miles, and, in combination to stretching and almost enough warming up, I haven’t had any issues at all. Praise indeed!

No comments: