6 October 2008

Pumpin hell!

Recently I have had the privilege of riding a pump track local to me. For those of you who do not know what a pump track is i shall explain. A pump track is a series of rollers (small mounds) and small jumps with bermed corners in a figure of eight or rectangular shape. They have many different lines and directions and can also grow into other more unique shapes.
My first time there I could hardly make it round the basic figure of eight circuit. A fair few rides later I can now do a figure of eight and then go in reverse, I’m constantly spotting new lines and getting faster.
Enough of how good I’m becoming here is the reason I’m posting this, I think every type of off road rider should ride a pump track and do it regularly. I ride downhill bikes and thought I was good at pumping. I was wrong! I had become lazy because I relied on suspension to get me down the hill. After one session at the track and the next day I couldn't walk! Ask some of the other chaps in the shop, I was in serious agony. I had used mussels I thought I used all the time, but obviously didn't. So the first point is pump tracks give you a full body work out.
The second point is that pump tracks teach you to use the lay of the land to your advantage, turning dips into boost points without pedalling or using your suspension. Its about body movement, position and speed checking. You may feel you can do this correctly but once you get on a pump track you may think differently, I did. Too fast into a corner and you come out wrong, to slow and you can't make it to the next pump point. Its all about fluidity and control. Once you get all this you will be able to go faster on your local trails with more confidence.
I'm riding at cwmcarn in a few weeks so I’ll let you all know what effect it has given me on my riding. So go out there and pump!!!

G

No comments: