13 October 2008

Time is running out...

I've always mainly been into the offroad aspect of cycling. Downhill being my favourite form of offroad.

However a couple of months back i was talked into competing in a local time trial, just for a bit of fun and to see how i got on. I turned up with a couple of colleagues from Mud Dock, expecting the race to be quite boring and not really catch my fancy. Straight away i stood out! The preference was for wearing a skinsuit and a proper Time trial helmet. I however, turned up in a Downhill jersey, baggy shorts and a piss-pot helmet. Lets just say it wasn't the most appropriate Time Trial kit!! My road bike at the time wasn't very good. Just a cheap aluminium frame made by Ribble. I talked my father into letting me borrow his titanium Litespeed Ultimate just for the race.
As soon as the race started and i was sent off, i was hooked! It was such a thrill. However as i had mainly just pushed myself over short distances, i had never really built up any slow-twitch muscles, meaning i couldn't keep up the amount of power and speed i wanted for a prolonged period of time. As i had never really raced over a longer distance, i wasn't quite sure how to pace myself. As soon as i got sight of the finish line, i immediately knew that i hadn't pushed anywere near hard enough.

My time was 26.22
A lot of people were very supportive and said that was a good attempt, seeing as it was my first ever Time trial. The event was held for 4 weeks. And slowly but surely i managed to get my time down to 24.08

I was still dissapointed with my time, but was hooked on the sport. I have since been focusing on road riding and training for Time trials. And a little while back i invested in a Trek TTX 9.9ssl Frame, which in effect left me with absolutely no money. My bike is now almost complete. It is kitted out with Shimano Ultegra, and a set of aero wheels (Zipp 900 disc on the rear and a Zipp 404 on the front) I am currently only waiting for a set of time trial bars before my little project will be complete.



Unfortunately Time trialling season is now over but my drive and ambition to be the most awesome time triallist has only just begun (he says tongue firmly placed in cheek)
I'll keep training over the winter and hopefully when next season kicks off i'll be ready and waiting to put in some good times

James

No comments: